Monday, October 1, 2012

NAMI Haircut

 
The Winona Chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness had its annual fundraiser on Saturday. In the past, I haven't been able to attend because of other commitments so I was really glad I could finally go this year. The ladies from Nostallja Salon give $10 haircuts and some talented local massage queens gave $10 chair massages. My mom and I enjoyed some happy fingers dancing on our backs. So relaxing! Coop and I got haircuts. We both look pretty darn spanky. The best part was reconnecting with my grade school friend, Nancy. We seem to run into each other in unexpected places which is a treat for both of us.
 
NAMI is a vital organization nationally but also locally and is, of course, near and dear to my heart. They advocate for and support individuals with mental illness who may not get that help otherwise. They also work hard to demystify mental illnesses, which is so important in a society where we tend to stereotypify the mentally ill. I appreciate all their efforts.