Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 29

KGOY or something like that. It's kids getting older younger, KGOY. I worry about this with my three sons. I think kids are getting older much, much younger than when I was a kid. I don't think this is good for kids. I am feeling very frustrated with not having any control over this once I send my sons to school.

Cooper is in the GATE program. They are reading Three Cups of Tea. I signed off on this that I was okay with it. And then today I started looking at the book. The true story of a man's quest to build schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. The book is about one man's encounter with the taliban, machine guns, hostages, hashish, etc., all while trying to build schools. That's just what I have seen thumbing through the pages. There is profanity in the book and murder and robbery. This is a true story. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing story and I am anxious to read it. But it doesn't feel appropriate for 4th graders.

So, here is where I eat my shoe or foot or whatever. While I was typing this entry I did some research on this book because I just couldn't believe that the teacher would read this with the students. WELLLLLLLL, I remembered that Cooper said his cover looked different and in researching it I realized he was reading the young reader's edition. The YOUNG READER's edition. Ooops.

This is one of those times where my brain prevailed over my emotions. I was so ready to get on that teacher like pigs on mud. Phew...

Day 29 Life Lesson: Take a deep breath, do your homework, and then take another deep breath and then act.