Monday, December 12, 2011

Lunar Weekend Part One



Cooper: (whispering excitedly and tapping my shoulder) Mom, Mr. Paulsen says the lunar eclipse starts at 5:30.

Me: (sleepily) No Coop, I googled it before I went to bed and it starts at 5:30 Pacific time which means 6:30 Central time. You can go back to bed for an hour.

Cooper: (wide awake) I'll just watch out the window to make sure.

Me: Okay

6:30am

Cooper: Mom, I can't see the moon any more the houses are in the way.

Me: Sorry Coop.

Cooper: Mom, let's go. It's probably starting and we are going to miss it.

Me: (frustrated) It's 4 degrees out and we are going to drive around and it will be below the bluff and we won't be able to see anything.

Cooper: (PERSISTENTLY) Mr. Paulsen says we WILL be able to see it.

Me: (under my breath) Then maybe you should call Mr. Paulsen to take you.

Cooper: What?

Me: FINE, let's go.

-------

And go we did. Off to McDonalds for a mocha and a hot chocolate and 2 breakfast sandwiches. Then up the hill to the flat land. We drove back and forth and talked about lunar eclipses and solar eclipses and other important things in life. Oh, how I hated getting up so early and going out in the freeeeeeezing cold. But, oh, how I love that my son made me go. It was a morning I will always remember.



Later Saturday morning we had special visitors. 2 month old Brydon and his mom came to visit with grandma Joyce and grandpa Don. Brydon was having a really good hair day. In the afternoon, we went to the annual Christmas party at the legion where Gramsie was leading one of the craft tables. Only at the legion can you find kids visiting with Santa while the adult helpers sip on their beers and mixed drinks. It takes me back to my childhood days when I hung out at Shortys after my dad's softball games. Some things never change.