Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Random Conversations and Thoughts

Conversation between Cam and I yesterday:

Cam: I think my tummy will always hurt because when we lived at the old house I swallowed a penny but I never told anyone.

Me: Mmm hmmm

brief pause

Me: Wait a second. What did you say?

Cam: I swallowed a penny.

Me: When?

Cam: At the old house. Boo Boo and my blanket were by me.

Me: So you didn't tell me but you told Boo Boo?

Cam: Yes.

Me: Well, that's kind of a big deal, so if that ever happens again you should tell me or dad, okay?

Cam: Okay, I will tell you. Do you think I will always have a tummy ache?

Me: No, if you do get a tummy ache it's not because you swallowed a penny at the old house. You don't have to worry about the penny any more.

Cam: Okay, can I have some applesause?

__________

When Cam got off the bus today he told me I needed to remember the number one six three. He told me that this is where Penelope's sister lives and that she is in the book and this is where he is going to go for a sleepover. But he wasn't going to sleep with Penelope. Ohhhhh-kaaay.

__________

I had a thought today.

There really has been no better time than now to be agoraphobic. I mean really. With all the technology available to us, one could stay in their house 24/7 and still have a pretty normal life. This past spring, during an extended period of being severely under-medicated, I had a brief and mild agoraphobic spell. I didn't want to go camping, to the grocery store, to the park, for a bike ride or anywhere, for that matter. Every time we needed to go somewhere, I hid in the bathroom and cried profusely, hoping someone would get sick or plans would change. It was confusing and overwhelming. The interesting thing, however, was that no one noticed. I still communicated with people through texts, emails, and phone calls. Granted, if it was still going on I'm sure I would have a few knocks at my door, but for a few weeks it was easy to hide. I would not wish that debilitating phobia on anyone, but if you are overtaken by the fear of something, this is one of the few you can muddle through with a smartphone. There's probably even an app for it.