Monday, May 18, 2009

It's a Windy, Windy, Windy Day...

We had the pleasure of hosting my sister-in-law and brother-in-law-to-be at our house this weekend. Jodi and Jake are super fun and they make us feel young and we make them feel like they never want to have kids. They came to do some fishing and fishing we did.

On Saturday, my mom very graciously took care of the three musketeers and we battled the bitter cold and I do mean BITTER, to catch some fishies. My dad and I went out in his boat while J, J and Corey went out in our boat. I was quite comfortable in my snowpants and my winter coat. I can't tell you where we fished exactly because then I'd have to kill you but I will tell you that I caught two very nice northerns and Corey caught one. Although our guests got skunked I think they would agree that even a bad day of fishing is better than most anything else.

We had yummy soup and "North Dakota" hot dish made by my mom while my dad cleaned the two "alligator" fish, as Kyle called them. Later, Jodi and I had some serious shopping to do.

I had been trying to explain the coupon system to Jodi but now she was going to see it in action. At Walgreens I bought two big bags of Lays chips, burger buns, and 3 boxes of jello. My total was 75 cents. While I picked Jodi's chin off the floor, she made her purchase. Now to Hy-Vee.

6 bottles of BBQ sauce
2 jars of Vlasic stackers
24ct Dixie plates
8 Kraft singles
2 bags Dole salad
$20.34

I think I convinced Jodi to give it a whirl although she still doesn't know why in the world I bought all that BBQ sauce and cheese.

Sunday was less windy and the fishing was even worse than the day before. Once again my mom watched the boys but today we cozied up in our boat together. Corey caught a couple crappies, one very nice one, and we ate them for supper. Nothing like living off the polluted Mississippi.

We had a blast and can't wait for Auntie Jodi and Uncle Jake to come back again. We know they can catch fish, at least that's what they tell us.