Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fun Run Weekend

You don't expect to learn important life lessons from your 9 year-old son but sometimes he teaches me things I never could have learned on my own. This morning, Cooper ran in a fun run at SMU prior to the Jim Flim Cross Country Invitational. I cringed inside when he told me he wanted to do it. He had a big smile on his face and was very excited to participate. On the surface this may seem like a no-brainer but here in lies the dilemma. Do I let my son run a mile through the woods when I know he will finish in last place and not only in last place but waaaaay behind the other 4th through 6th graders? Do I set him up to fail? Do I want to intentionally put him through that? I mean, I have not experienced last place that often in my life. Not because I was really skilled but because I wouldn't try if I thought I would be last. I must have asked him 10 times in the past two days since the flyer came home if he still wanted to go. I kept asking and he kept saying yes. So, off we went, at 8:30 this morning.

As we walked to the starting line with about 20 other kids, I told him to do his best and take it slow. He told me he was going to run really fast because he wanted to beat his buddy Ryan. (Gulp) The gun rang out and off they went. It took about 4 seconds for everyone to pass him by. I cut through the woods to watch him and cheer him on. All the kids ran hard up the first hill but not one child was smiling... except Coop. His smile got bigger every time he heard the older kids cheering him on. He walked a little, he jogged a little, he sprinted a little and all the time with a big smile on his face. As the last racer went by all the kids and parents dispersed down to the finish line... except me. I knew one smiling runner was still making the turn and coming back through the woods. So I ran. I ran to meet my son, and I ran some more. Finally, I saw his big smile coming through the trees. We ran together for a while and then he took off without me. We met again at the finish line where he was still smiling. I told him I was so proud of him for finishing and doing his best. He reminded me that he came in last place. I put my arm around him and told him again how proud I was of him. No one on that brisk foggy morning would know that my son had just taught me a huge life lesson. All because one kid wanted to participate in a fun run.



Life Lessons Learned: Always do your best. Always smile while doing your best. Always finish. Just because it's difficult doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. Finishing is a huge accomplishment. Never, ever give up.